With H on the gourmet roll, this is what she made for us for breakfast, Eggs Benedict.
Eggs Benedict recipe
Ingredients (For 4 people)
* 4 fresh English muffins
* 8 rashers of back bacon
* 8 eggs
* 1 tsp of white vinegar
* 4 egg yolks
* 2 tbsp of lemon juice
* 9 oz (255 g) of butter
* pinch of cayenne pepper
* salt and pepper
To make a simple Hollandaise sauce:
1. Place the 4 egg yolks, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and the salt and pepper into a fairly large saucepan and with a hand whisk, whisk all the ingredients until they have blended together.
2. Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the saucepan.
3. Turn the heat on the cooker to medium and begin to whisk the ingredients. As the butter melts, make sure that you blend it thoroughly into the egg yolks. Continue to whisk vigorously until all of the butter has blended into the eggs.
4. If the sauce begins to separate, add 2 tsp of water to the sauce mixture and whisk briskly until the mixture has combined together to form a creamy sauce.
5. Once all of the butter has melted and a sauce has been formed, continue whisking until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.
6. Add more salt and pepper if required.
7. Remove from the heat and keep the sauce warm before serving for up to 30 minutes.
Once the Hollandaise sauce has been prepared and set to one side, you can concentrate on the other ingredients.
The next step is to prepare the eggs and the ham, if possible simultaneously.
1. Preheat the grill to a moderate heat and cut the bacon or ham into circles that will just cover the base of the muffin.
2. At the same time start to poach the eggs (see our section on: How to poach an egg).
3. Place the bacon or ham under the grill and cook on both sides until browned. Keep warm if the eggs are still cooking.
4. When the eggs and the bacon are almost ready, tear the muffins in half with your hands, taking care to break them evenly and place them in the toaster or under the grill.
5. When the muffins have been lightly toasted, butter them generously and place in the middle of a warmed plate.
6. Remove the bacon from the grill and sit one circular piece on top of each half muffin.
7. Arrange the drained and trimmed poached egg on top of the bacon or ham and finally spoon the warmed Hollandaise sauce over the egg.
8. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Help with cooking